Survivor’s Checklist

We are providing this information in an attempt to aid you in settling your affairs. The information may or may not be relevant to your circumstances.

Gatling’s Chapel, Inc. will order Certified copies of the Death Certificate for you. These are needed as proof of death for benefits and other business.



1. If there is a direct deposit of Social Security or Pension checks, notify your bank of the death. If decreased estate is in trust, check with the trust department of the bank or your family attorney.

2. Pay all bills and taxes owed as soon as possible (income tax, real estate, home mortgage, hospital, funeral and other bills incurred).

3. Change stocks and bonds into your name. Bank or stock broker has forms.

4. Check on money in credit union. Some credit unions also carry a life insurance benefits for members.

5. All deaths are reported to the Social Security Administration by Gatling’s Chapel, Inc. Call Social Security’s tool free number 1.800.772.1213 for assistance in obtaining any benefits due to you and/or minor children.



1. Notify deceased’s employer’s personnel and insurance departments. Check on group insurance benefits, survivor’s benefits, profit sharing and pension money to which you may be entitled.

2. Check on credit life insurance that may have been carried on all debts (house, car, credit cards, etc.). Close accounts covered by this insurance.

3. Inquire about health insurance coverage for you and your children if carried by deceased.

4. Check on accidental death benefits with your insurance company. If death was accidental, you may be entitled to double indemnity benefits.

5. Check automobile insurance.

6. Change beneficiary on your insurance.



1. If deceased was an honorably discharged veteran, the Veteran’s Administration furnishes a flag and possibly a grave marker. If veteran was in receipt of pension or disability compensation, hospitalized by VA, or traveling at government expenses at the time of death, he/she may be eligible for a burial and plot allowance.



1. File deceased’s Will in Probate Court within 30 days following death. It is advisable to have an attorney if the estate is valued at $ 15,000 or more. Have your will updated by an attorney.

2. Transfer real estate title of jointly held property at the Register Deeds Office in the county where real estate is located. A certified copy of the Death Certificate is necessary.

3. Transfer automobile titles into your name at Secretary of State’s office (death certificate needed), or if the estate is probated, though Probate Court. It is usually best not to make any major decisions too soon (such as sale of property). Seek competent advice. REMEMBER: IT IS FAR BETTER TO SEEK GOOD LEGAL COUNSEL, THAN TO GET FREE INCORRECT ADVICE.



1. If the deceased was a member of the labor union, notify the union and acquire about survivor benefits.

2. Check with fraternal organization of which the deceased was a member, as they may provide benefits.

3. Utilize grief counselor as necessary.

4. Fill out pre-planning guide and meet with counselor to complete your pre-arrangement.



It is advisable to call parties concerned before visiting their offices to check on which documents they will need. If documents are given to them, get a receipt (insurance policies, etc.).

1. Armed Services Discharge Papers.

2. Automobile Registration and Title.

3. Bank Books

4. Birth Certificate of Each Child.

5. Death Certificate

6. Deeds and Titles to Property.

7. Insurance Policies.

8. Loan and Installment Payment Books, Contracts and account numbers.

9. Marriage Certificate and if married before, divorce papers (yours and that of deceased).

10. Recent Income tax and W2 Forms.

11. Social Security Numbers (yours and that of the deceased).

12. Stock Certificates.

13. Veterans Administration Claim Number DD214 Honorable Discharge.

14. Will

Be Sociable, Share!
Gatling's Chapel, Inc. Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved

Design & Development: